For the last seven years I’ve taken the train back and forth to work – first to Wellington and now to Waterloo. During that time I’ve read lots of books and made new friends and had some of the best naps of my life. Like many passengers I’ve also snorted myself awake.
I’ve also spent a fair amount of time starting into space and often spend that time thinking of improvements to the train. Here, for the first time is the list:
- Occasionally the train gets backed up behind a unit (a train on wires). The obvious solution to this is that the Wairarapa train should be able to jump other trains.
- Right now we’ve got new carriages that are quite uncomfortable. At least one of the carriages should be gutted and filled with bean bags. I know, if we crash people will fly around but realistically none of us are belted in so we’re all screwed if that happens anyway.
- The anti gravity carriage would be a good idea. This would be even better if the walls were marshmallows and the carriage was filled with coloured balls.
- The train trip is at least 40 minutes for most people – lets turn a carriage into an exercise carriage where the energy generated by the people working out powers the train.
- We should be able to scan our tickets when we get on, which would leave the guards free to help me with my bike.
- There should be bike racks in the luggage carriage instead of the current pile-o-bikes against the wall method.