When the weather bomb hit this weekend I had some kind of cooking haze come over me, which meant I’ve made everything from chicken noodle stew to focaccia to puddings this weekend.
I was particularly pleased to last night create a fantastic self-saucing chocolate pudding by adapting this recipe. Here is my pudding:
- 1 cups of self raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup of light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa – I prefer Blooker Cocoa but last night used Pam’s cocoa because it’s what we had
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 egg
- 2 heaped tablespoons of either soft butter or soft margarine (whatever you have)
- 1 1/2 cups of tepid water mixed with 1/3- 1/2 cup of cocoa
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cornflour
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a large, deep dish
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the brown sugar, first lot of cocoa and stir to combine.
- In a jug combine the milk, egg, vanilla and softened butter/marg and mix to combine. Add to the flour/cocoa mixture and stir until combined before putting into the bowl.
- To make the sauce, combine the white sugar and cornflour and sprinkle on top of the pudding. Make up the cocoa mix then add in the boiling water before gently pouring over the top of the pudding.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a knife/skewer comes out clean when you stab it into the centre of the pudding.
- Serve with ice cream.